Data Protection Reforms May 2018
Reforms to Data Protection will come into force on 25th May 2018.The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaces the Data Protection Act 1998. It will determine how people’s personal data is processed and kept safe, and the legal rights individuals have in relation to their own data.
The School's primary reason for using your personal information is to provide educational services to your child.
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual and relates to you.
This includes your information such as contact details and next of kin. More details about how and why we collect and keep personal information can be found in our Privacy notice (available on St Helen’s website)
The GDPR legislation gives you a number of rights regarding your information. Some of these are new rights whilst others build on your existing rights.
Your rights are as follows:
- If information is incorrect you can ask us to correct it;
- You have the right to withdraw consent for us to hold your personal information.
- You can also ask what information we hold about you and be provided with a copy. This can be requested using a subject access request form. (Available from the school office or on St Helen’s website.)
- You can ask us to delete the information that we hold about you in certain circumstances. For example, where we no longer need the information;
- You can ask us to send you, or another organisation, certain types of information about you in a format that can be read by computer;
- Our use of information about you may be restricted in some cases. For example, if you tell us that the information is inaccurate we can only use it for limited purposes while we check its accuracy;
(We will consider this request in the light of the legislation. Under the GDPR, there are 6 'lawful bases' (or reasons) that a school can use to justify why it needs to process data)
Please contact Mrs Curtis, Data Protection Officer if you would like any further information.
Mrs FaulknerMrs Curtis
Assistant HeadteacherAssistant Headteacher